Visits Since 19 Dec 09

Monday, April 5, 2010

Review Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii)

I think I first saw a write up this in Nintendo Power and wanted to give it a shot if the price was right. So when I saw a copy on clearance for $19.99, I snagged it.

My first impression was that this game was like a work of art, wonderful music, amazing imagery, and a distinct Asian theme. There is little doubt that this is one of the most beautiful games released on the Wii.

The controls are designed well too. The movement during battle sequences is fluid and responsive. I love the Gamecube controller capability.

This game is instantly fun and a treat for the eye. The story well done but is difficult to follow (unless you're familiar with Japanese culture). Additionally, early on, there's a fair amount of back tracking.
Eventually, you begin to earn new sword and can forge additional ones. Each more powerful with secondary special weapon and usually some sort of character skill up grade. There are some RPG elements, items, exp, soul, spirit, and money all play a part.

My only real complaint is the game never really changes. Much like side scroll platformers of old, like Mario and Sonic, the gameplay remains the same from start to finish.




I did play through the game and all it's endings. I found that I couldn't put it down. The optional challenge layers were great and some more challenging then the final bosses. Overall, this game was quite impressive, but it seemed to lack a little of what makes a good game great. Still, I'll give it an 8.5/10

1 comment:

DJPimpDaddy said...

I sorta felt the same way about Okami on Wii. The 1up staff always gushed about how great the game was, or how artistic it was. I finally got a copy and it was very good looking, but it just seemed like there was too much work just to get out of the first 2 hours of the game. I liked it, but it felt too much like work to really wow me.